Wednesday, May 11, 2011

happy hour thursday... (one day early!)

Since I will be relaxing in the sun with no Internet access, I didn't want to miss out on posting my Happy Hour Thursday, especially with this weeks drink being one of my favorites!


Did you know that the birthplace of the piña colada was Puerto Rico?  This cold, creamy drink made of pineapple juice, rum, and coconut cream has been the official drink of Puerto Rico for decades.  I ran across this tidbit of information as I was researching my trip to San Juan.

Pina Colada
Ingredients:
•48 Oz. Pineapple Juice - Canned
•15 Oz. Coconut Cream
•10 Oz. Water (If you use ice and a blender, you don't need the water)
•Rum to taste
•Maraschino cherry or pineapple chunk for garnish

Preparation:
It doesn't take much to find a Piña Colada mix at your local grocery store, but if you want to do it the way Puerto Ricans do, follow these steps:
1.Mix the pineapple juice and coconut cream
2. The secret is not to mix this blend with ice, but rather to freeze the mix, stirring occasionally until frozen or to use an old-fashioned ice cream maker to freeze the mixture.
3.Pour rum to taste in a glass and add the frozen mix to serve.
4.Garnish with the cherry or a pineapple chunk (or both).

And enjoy an authentic 'Rican cocktail, courtesy of the people who invented it!

Caribe Hilton Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment