Monday, September 19, 2011

Red Riesling

As I was reading my Food & Wine Magazine last night, that was dedicated to all things Paris... I came across numerous articles about delicious wines. For years I only drank white, in fact, only Riesling. It wasn't until about a year ago that I started enjoying Red Wines, in particular Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon . As I became an avid wine drinker, I had heard that there was such a thing as Red Riesling. I did not believe these people. At all. Until.... last night. Food & Wine Magazine listed several Riesling, one in particular was Red Riesling.
"A very rare version of Riesling which has recently received more attention is Red Riesling (Roter Riesling). As the name suggests, this is a red-skinned clone of Riesling (a skin colour commonly found for e.g. Gewürztraminer), but not a dark-skinned clone, i.e., it is still a white wine grape. It is considered a mutation of White Riesling, but some experts have suggested the opposite relationship, i.e., that Red Riesling could be the forerunner of White Riesling.[10] Small amounts of Red Riesling is grown in Germany and Austria. In 2006, the Rheingau winery Fritz Allendorf planted what has been claimed to be the first commercial amounts of Red Riesling.[40] To confuse matters, "Red Riesling" has also been used as a synonym for red-skinned Traminer grapes (such as the Savagnin rose of Klevener de Heiligenstein) and the obscure variety Hanns, which is a seed plant of Roter Veltliner."

My mission is to find a bottle and test it out!

3 comments:

  1. Red riesling?!! No way, I love Riesling I have to give this a try as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow i would love to try a bottle of Red Riesling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just in Germany and had it and it is amazing! Wasn't able to bring any back. If you have found a place in the US that sells it, please post!

    ReplyDelete